Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland and one of its 32 local government council areas. Located in Lothian on the Firth of Forth‘s southern shore, it is Scotland’s second most populous city and the seventh most populous in the United Kingdom. The 2014 official population estimates are 464,990 for the city of Edinburgh, 492,680 for the local authority area, and 1,339,380 for the city region as of 2014 (Edinburgh lies at the heart of the proposed Edinburgh and South East Scotland city region). Recognised as the capital of Scotland since at least the 15th century, Edinburgh is home to the Scottish Parliament and the seat of the monarchy in Scotland. The city is also the annual venue of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland and home to national institutions such as the National Museum of Scotland, the National Library of Scotland and the Scottish National Gallery. It is the largest financial centre in the UK after London.
Historically part of Midlothian, the city has long been a centre of education, particularly in the fields of medicine, Scots law, literature, the sciences and engineering. The University of Edinburgh, founded in 1582 and now one of four in the city, was placed 17th in the QS World University Rankings in 2013 and 2014. The city is also famous for the Edinburgh International Festival and the Fringe, the latter being the world’s largest annual international arts festival. The city’s historical and cultural attractions have made it the United Kingdom’s second most popular tourist destination after London, attracting over one million overseas visitors each year. Historic sites in Edinburgh include Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, the churches of St. Giles, Greyfriars and the Canongate, and the extensive Georgian New Town, built in the 18th century. Edinburgh’s Old Town and New Town together are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which has been managed by Edinburgh World Heritage since 1999. (source: wikipedia)
Suggested Travel Guides:
- This is Edinburgh: Official Guide http://edinburgh.org/
- Visit Scotland: https://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/edinburgh-lothians/
- Edinburgh Castle: http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/
- Things to do? TimeOut Edinburgh: https://www.timeout.com/edinburgh
- Google Destinations: https://www.google.com/destination?dest_mid=/m/02m77&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih6KrKm9LQAhXmx1QKHWJUAQsQri4IhgEwEQ
- Free things to do! http://www.hostelworld.com/blog/15-things-to-do-for-free-in-edinburgh/
- Festivals! Edinburgh is home to some of the best and most popular festivals in the world: http://www.edinburghfestivalcity.com/
- Hop on Hop Off Bus Tour: http://edinburghtour.com/
- Viator: https://www.viator.com/Edinburgh/d739-ttd
- Walking tours: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/edinburgh/walking-tours
- Food tours: http://www.eatwalkedinburgh.co.uk/
- Whiskey tours: https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/
Day trips to various locations in Scotland are also available. Tripadvisor and Viator are good sites to gather information and read reviews from those who have participated in various tours. You are also a short bus ride from the coast (Portobello Beach, or North Berwick to name a couple). Edinburgh is such an easy walking town though, you might not go anywhere else!